Thursday, August 31, 2006

New Beginnings

Today is the last day of work for my friend, Mepknit. After many years of factory work, she will join me in retirement. We have already planned a day trip for tomorrow. It will be nice to have someone around who is free during the day, has a car, and does more crafts than I do. I know she will soon have a lot of things on the go and her husband has lots of plans for her. She will definitely be one of those persons who will enjoy retirement -- doing all the things she enjoyed before without the hassel of work to interfere. Knitting, quilting, doll making, ceramics, leather work, reading, cooking, grandchildren and a great-granchild -- sounds like enough to keep her busy for awhile. She also said she would join an exercise program with me.

For the past few months I have been going to the YMCA. I really enjoy the shallow water aquatic program but found it was bothering my leg. (Have had a hip replacement on the right and see the surgeon in November about the left leg. Will save that rant for later.) The deep water program didn't help so now I do the shallow water program with a bouancy (sp?) belt on. Really helps as I don't have to touch the bottom and yet I don't have my leg down fully working against the water.

The cost of the Y is high for what I am getting from it and the Boys and Girls Club has been getting a huge make over and addition. Costs would be about half that of the Y and, when I don't have the car or Mepknit, I can get a bus ride from my door to the Club for $3. Compares well with $2.50 to take 3 city buses to get there. So we will have that new beginning next week.

No new beginning on a project though. Project of the day is a pair of green socks, toe up on 2 cirs, in Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy yarn. It is 34% Hemp, 41% Cotton and 25% Modal. Very nice to work with. My sister has admired the yarn so she has her choice for her birthday on Saturday. She can have a completed pair in a red blend, this pair or another pair I have started. Will be interesting to see what she choses. Must get a picture of the completed pair when she gets back as would like one for my records. And will find my camera and learn to post a picture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations