Sunday, September 24, 2006

Books

I hand wanted to post about the 3 books I read last weekend but found I threw out the info about one so that one will have to wait. Just to keep you curious it was a murder mystery with knitting.

I got handed 2 books and told I could read them but NOT take them home. Thought it best to choose one so, based on the brief writeup and author's name, I chose "Trouble". All I could say when finished was where was the author's first one (Sunstroke) as this one was a fascinating read. It is told by a young man who rushes to the aid of a young woman and all the trouble she causes him. There were a few spots where my interest seem to lag but this may not be the final draft and the moments were so brief. They were noticeable only because the rest of the book held my interest so very much. I probably shouldn't have but made it a one night read. The author is Jesse Kellerman and, with noted writers as parents, he can definitely stand on his own. And yes, his first book has been requested.
Would I buy it - Yes
Would I look for other books by him - Yes

The second book I read was totally different. It is "The Knitting Circle" by Ann Hood. To quote from the back of the cover, "After the sudden loss of her only child, Mary Baxter joins a knitting circle in Providence, Rhode Island, as a way to fill the empty hours and lonely days, not knowing that it will change her life." The book explains how she came to join the group and the women she met and the new techniques that she learns from each. The new techniques are not fully explained so don't expect to use this as a knitting instructive book. The introductions to several of the women seemed very contrived. She talks about making certain projects for Christmas but there is no indication if they were given, how they were received, and all that "stuff" important to a knitter. Apparently the book will be out in January 2007 and will cost $32.95 Canadian.
Would I buy it - No.
Would I borrow it from the library or a friend - Yes.
Would I look for other books by her (has 7 + short-story collection) - Maybe

Right now I am reading "Arthritis RX" by Vijay Vad, M.D. Agree with what I have read so far but not really into it. This has been the week of new shows and I am working hard on my scarf so reading can wait. Right now, it is a windy, rainy afternoon and time for supper so I am off to get some soup my son made Friday, read some blogs and then to knit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations