Monday, November 13, 2006

Show Time

I like free! Like most people, I think it is very nice when you get something for free.
The thought of getting tickets to not one but two shows I want to see is extraordinary. That is what happened this weekend.
Several months ago my son won a pass for two to the Blue Man Group in Toronto. Mandy's Mom picked up the tickets recently and was to go with me. Last week I got a phone call from a granddaughter who really, really wanted to see the group and asked very nicely for my ticket. I love her dearly but not that much. She asked if she could use her aunt's ticket who was in agreement with the arangement and who would still do the driving. That was fine with me.
Saturday morning I drove to Brampton with a stop in St Jacobs (yes, a bit out of my way - by about an hour) to deliver some items and ended up buying a pair of new crocs. No holes in them so will be nicer in the snow. Still managed to get to Brampton by 11. Mandy's Mom was busy having quality time with Mandy.



The finished product:

It is a swimming pool cake with loads of cookies, chocolates, and candy. Please note the diving board also. Alex had made one before Mandy was born so now it was her turn. Cookbook provided by yours truly.


Made us a bit late leaving the house and then Jessica wasn't quite ready so put us back a bit more. Thank goodness I didn't have to worry about driving, parking and such as we made it with 5 minutes to spare.
The show was fantastic! Lot of percussion music, some audience participation, and loads of laughter. Only 3 men on stage who do not talk at all, only using their eyes for expressions. I never knew that you could chew your cereal and have music. The audience at the end got wrapped in paper. All recycled paper we were told. Did buy a DVD of a show but they had the musicians on stage which I found somewhat distracting. Enjoyed the show we saw much more.
Mandy has decided that certain nights should be a special time with table cloths, "napkins" (paper towels), special drinks - wine for the adults and ginger ale for the others, AND dessert. (That is the reason for the cake) It used to be that date night was from the adults but now it includes the kids.
Sunday morning we had to be up and out of the house early for a 10 am FREE show in Toronto. Preview of Happy Feet. Well worth getting up early! Production on the show was started before March of the Penguins and takes an ecological look at saving them. You don't need kids to see the show with as there is a lot of adult humour and story and songs. Whether you remember the original songs or just enjoy how they are produced here, the songs are well integrated. The movie also teaches about the value of others who may be different. You may not realize all the lessons at the time as you might be too busy laughing and watching. The underwater swim sequence is beautiful. For me, it was a time warp to the Esther William's movies. Few others may remember them but when you see the movie, you might understand that she had the human version. I don't go to movies hardly at all and doubt I'll get any more free tickets to Happy Feet but I will be buying the movie when it comes out on DVD. Let her Aunt and Cousin take Mandy next time.
Had lunch at Ikea - like those meatballs. Also Mandy needed napkins for their next "date night".
Knitting news - got a few rows done waiting for the start of the move but that was about it. Have started something for Christmas so info about it will have to wait.
Also have some fantastic news about my son but until more details are worked out and finalized, I will also have to wait on that. Or interested parties can email me for the currant status.

Enjoy today.

3 comments:

flit November 13, 2006 at 4:06 PM  

oh you are SO MEAN!

WHAT NEWS?

tamara,  November 13, 2006 at 4:19 PM  

i wanna see Happy Feet...wah...and I WANNA GO TO IKEA..lol

flit November 22, 2006 at 2:22 PM  

past time for an update, I think!

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations