Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More on socks




Took a few pictures tonight on the pair I am working most on -- my red socks. They have some white in them so almost pink. Also bands of yellow, royal blue, and a black and white band. At the point where they just need to be cast off and they are off the needles and onto my feet.

Worked on two circular needles because I used to knit while riding the bus. (now drive to work so not as much knitting time) After loosing double pointed needles twice I decided that didn't work. Circulars are easy to fold up for going in and out of my purse and much harder to lose. Also easier to use and adjust the knitting in a crowded bus.

Work both socks at the same time -- when one is done, they both are. Lots of knitters have problems as they lose interest after the one sock is completed for Second Sock Syndrome (SSS). They would rather move on to a new design, a new colour, a new yarn, etc. than work the same thing over again to complete the second sock. Also it is easier not having to count to ensure that each part is the same length. Can you imagine the fun of trying to get the patterns t thesame row each time? No thanks.

This last picture is closest to the actual colour. The pattern is taken from a book just on cables that I bought recently. Got bored by all the plain knitting in the foot so put the design on each side with a plain band up the front and back. May make the ankle look a bit bigger but will decide that when they are on my foot and I don't really care anyway.

Work from the toe up so I can try them on as I go along to ensure that they are the right size. Also, the amount of yarn varies for each brand and type of yarn, when you use different patterns, when you want to combine left over yarn, etc. This way the length of the leg can be easily changed while I am sure of having the foot and ankle and some of the leg out of the yarn available.

Each sock is a learning experience and an addition to my supply of socks so each is valued for a different reason.

I am also building up a stash of left over yarn to either use in socks or baby jacket or blanket.

When taking the pictures, found that I have two other pairs of socks that need the legs finished. Than I can start something new.

6 comments:

flit August 13, 2009 at 7:11 AM  

We found my bag o' knitting from my attempt to make myself a sweater - will have to get it to you at some point.

flit August 13, 2009 at 7:11 AM  

oh, and thanks for helping on the Gather article - I figured you'd be able to help her sort it out

flit August 13, 2009 at 7:21 AM  

Template is all fixed, by the way - courtesy of Lady Java

Stephanie Barr August 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

I love that pair of socks! Darling!

smr61754 August 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

Hi, Flemisa and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my dishcloth. Your socks are terrific! Thats one of the main reasons I wanted to learn knitting....so I could knit socks. I hope I get good enough. :)

Thanks again!

Sandy

Flemisa August 27, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

It is more the wanting for socks than being good enough. I find mistakes in each of them but I also learn something from each of them and I just don't tell others about the mistakes. Just have fun with it -- whatever you knit.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations